Monday, July 6, 2009

Riding my bike

When I lived in the northwest suburbs of Chicago I lived just about 3 miles from work. A little too far to walk, but an easy distance for a bike ride. I frequently rode my bike to and from work and actually saved a lot of money on gas. There were back roads with bike trails that I took most of the way. Problem is, in Schaumburg, people aren't used to bikers on the trails and I nearly got hit by cars coming out of driveways a few times too many.
Riding my bike in Zurich is still a little scary, but I like that people in cars are used to bikers. For the last few months I've been taking the tram 11 to work. It's just 9 minutes and runs pretty frequently, but I decided to ride my bike the other day and realized that it takes the same amount of time to ride my bike and it's a very flat ride. I've been riding my bike every day ever since. :-)
In Schaumburg every once in a while I would go grocery shopping with my bike. The store was under a mile away from my apartment, but when I got there there was absolutely nowhere to lock up my bike. I had to resort to locking it to no parking or handicap signs. Today I rode my bike to the Aldi and parked it in the bike rack just outside the store. When I got out there were no less than 8 other bikes parked there. LOVE it!
Today I rode my bike to work and had some errands to run after work. I rode home, grabbed my recycling, rode to the glass deposit bins, rode to the post office to pick up a package, stopped at home to drop off the package, went to the Aldi, stopped at the UBS ATM, and was home in just over an hour from leaving work. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment