Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I miss American cheese

I just looked at this blog and saw that I haven't posted anything in about 6 months. My how time flies!

I've become more of a reader of blogs than a writer. After moving here expat blogs were really helpful and fun to read and I still keep up with a few.

I was recently back in Chicago for Christmas. I went a little crazy shopping, but it was so much fun. :-) I really love Switzerland, but being home made me realize how much I miss all of the little things.

One of my coworkers is going to be moving to Chicago in March and I'm having a blast telling him about Root Beer, diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, deep dish pizza, bars in the city, the Blues Fest, etc.

Matthias (the Swiss boyfriend) and I wanted to cook something for New Years eve. I started looking through my American cookbooks and realized we would have to improvise with a lot of things...there are so many silly little things that you just can't find here.

We wanted to make pineapple chicken....but you need brown sugar.

A few times I've thought about making nachos. I guess I could make them with gruyere or something like that. All I want is shredded mexican cheese. I understand that Switzerland is pretty far away from Mexico, but it's funny to me that there are hundreds of kinds of fancy cheese in the store, but when you look for packaged shredded cheese you're more likey to find 10 kinds of parmesan.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard there is a Mexican grocery store in Zurich. Haven't checked it out yet, but maybe they would have the cheese. Trust me, I totally understand about that. I went to a Mexican restaurant in Switzerland that used Emmentaler on the tacos. Sorry. That doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete